When you have crazy busy travel years like I did in 2017 and 2016, there’s an expectation. So let me start by saying that I plan on travelling to fewer countries in 2018 than I did in 2016 or 2017. Why? I’ve always said that my pace of travel over the last two years is not sustainable long term.
There’s this thing about seasons in life and anyone that knows me knows that travel will always be a part of my life. However, I will not be going to 2 countries (on average) per month this year as I did in 2017. I’m not a full time traveller or travel blogger and I don’t work for myself at the moment. I hope this means that I’ll have time to share a little more about the places I’ve been, and share the images, tips and stories I’ve gathered along the way!
Hold on though, I still have ambitious travel goals to some exciting destinations this year. To be completely honest, I expect a few transitions in 2018 so the second half of the year is a little ‘blurry’!
Last year, I wrote down my goals by seasons but this time I’m breaking it down by continent.
- Go on a Ski trip (my first ever!) and not break my neck or any body parts. Destination – Switzerland, France, Austria, or Italy
- Spend a Weekend in Dublin – I shunned Ireland because I felt salty that it’ll cost me more to fly to a visa appointment than it would to actually fly to Dublin. I’m trying to be an adult and let this go, it’s a new year.
- Visit the Isle of Skye – Scotland is gorgeous and is known for more than whisky (although apparently its quite good). Did you know portions of Skyfall were shot in Glencoe, Scotland? The Isle of Skye has been on my list for a while. Fingers crossed for mid-March.
- Weekend Trip to the Lake District in the UK – England’s largest national park!
- Visit 2 New US States
- New Orleans (Louisiana), this is the year we finally get acquainted!!!
- I’m thinking along the lines of North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah, or Washington State.
Australia – Is this the year I finally go down under?
- Visit Australia – Snorkel the great barrier reef, attend a Hillsong service in Sydney, take a touristy photo near the world-famous opera house OR
- Road trip through New Zealand’s South Island
The Motherland – Africa
- Cape Verde – we have unfinished business from 2017
- Kenya – More unfinished business from 2017
- Nigeria – because … home!
A Week in South or Central America
- Blurry but if I had to rank I’d say Colombia, Belize, Guatemala, Costa Rica, or Ecuador. Either way, I’d spend a week in one of these countries. P.S. I’m aware that Belize, Guatemala and Costa Rica are in North America 🙂
Stretch Goal – a Return to Asia
- Spend a week in Indonesia & a weekend in Hong Kong at the very end of the year
So there we have it, somewhere between 6 and 10 countries this year, plus a mix of local and international adventures. I have a few more local plans not listed above. I just realized that while my list is way shorter than last year’s, it covers 6 continents! So, in the end, it depends on how you choose to look at my travel goals compared to last year. I’m writing the plan and making it plain, let’s see what happens.
- Learn how to vlog and do videos on a number of trips this year. Is this something you’d be interested in?
- Promote this blog more, tell people about my blog (even when it makes me squirm). Please subscribe so you don’t miss new posts (to your right)!! I don’t spam!
- Perhaps a blog facelift in the second half of the year
- Post consistently on Mondays all year
- As God provides, do another travel-related giveaway at the end of the year
- Actively seek the right opportunities to collaborate with others
What Are Your Travel Plans for the year?
Do you have plans to visit any of these countries in 2018 or have you already visited? If you have, please share a top tip! I’m also curious as to how people set travel goals for the year. Let’s chat about your plans for the year in the comments section below!
Happy New Year and safe travels, let’s go!!
PS. I wrote about how I afford to travel here, and my favourite travel apps here . If this is your first time here, WELCOME!! Read my travel story here and 21 random things here to get to know a little bit about me! I’m still working on that 2017 montage…lets just say I’m still learning the whole video thing 🙂 .